1. Green Tea: Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and various other substances that are beneficial to our health. Many studies have shown that green tea can increase fat burning and help you lose weight. The substances in green tea increase levels of certain hormones that are responsible for telling fat cells to break down. Once fat cells break down they enter the blood stream and can be used for energy. The caffeine in green tea acts as a stimulant which can increase energy and metabolism.
Matcha green tea powder is your best option as it is a more concentrate form of green tea. Simply place 1 tsp of the powder in a mug and pour almost boiling water over it. (You never want to use boiling water with green tea)
2. Coconut oil: Many people think that in order to lose weight you need to reduce fat intake. The truth is it’s the type of fat that matters. Coconut oil is beneficial to our heath in many ways. It’s different from other forms of oil in that it is a medium chain triglyceride (MCT). MCT’s break down differently in the body than long-chain fatty acids which you would find in vegetable oils. MCT’s are thermogenic, meaning that more energy is required to break them down in the liver. This boosts your metabolism and helps you actually burn more fat.
Coconut oil is perfect for cooking as it has a high heat tolerance. You can also add it to a smoothie, spread it on your toast, or use it on popcorn.
3. Flax seeds: Flax seeds are high in both soluble and insoluble fiber which are important elements in a healthy diet. Fiber is beneficial for weight loss in a few ways. First, it helps you feel full longer so that you consume less food. Second, the fiber helps control blood sugar levels. Stable, low blood sugar is very important for weight loss. If your blood sugar is too high, your body will actually store more fat. Flax seeds also contain omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to boost metabolism and speed up weight loss.
Note: In order for your digestive system to break down flax seeds, they must first be ground.
4. Water: Your organs need to remain well hydrated in order to function properly and keep your metabolism high. It only takes a 2% drop in hydration for your metabolism to slow down. Your body is constantly breaking down food and other ingested substances and water is essential for proper removal of waste products and toxins from your body. Toxic buildup can slow metabolism and prevent weight loss. Water has also been shown to reduce appetite and therefore result in fewer calories being consumed. Often times when we think we are hungry, we are actually thirsty. Go for a big glass of water first and see if doesn’t reduce cravings and unnecessary eating.
How much water do you need? Take your weight in pounds and divide by two. That’s how many ounces of water you should be drinking each day.
5. Dark leafy green vegetables: Leafy green vegetables are one of the most nutritiously dense foods you could eat. They are loaded with many essential nutrients and fiber. As noted before, fiber keeps keep you full longer and controls blood sugar levels. When you consume high levels of vitamins and minerals, you effectively control hunger and cravings by giving your body exactly what it needs.
When choosing your greens, the darker the better. An easy way to consume them is to add them to your smoothie.